February 1, 2010

Purpose

This morning while I was making myself some eggs, not really important to the story, I started wondering about things. Usually this happens in the bathroom, probably because it is the most quiet place to think. Anyway, back to the story.

I started thinking about what is the purpose of my life. I know the obvious things are to above all, serve my Heavenly Father, and to be a great wife and mother. Those are givens that I understand and I embrace. I was just wondering if I was meant for something more.

God knows the plans he has laid out for us and it isn't necessarily for us to know these but sometimes I wonder if I am somehow a Butterfly Effect. I don't think that my sneeze is going to be responsible for a typhoon in Asia or anything like that but maybe what I teach my children will be passed down to future generations of men and women of greatness. How do we know that George Washington's Great-Great-Great Grandmother was the unknown most important element of his success? :-)

Of course I want success and happiness for my children and it is something that I pray on but sometimes it is fun to think about what you maybe unknowingly doing/causing and how that will one day effect the Kingdom of God.

BTW: If you have never seen the movie Defending Your Life, I suggest you watch. It has Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks and they are in limbo between Heaven and Earth. They are basically on 'trial' to prove that their lives were worthy enough to move on or if there were still things that they needed to learn. There is a really funny scene where they were able to see who they were in past lives. The idea of something like that is entertaining to me. I would like to see who I would've been had I been born in a different time and place.

2 comments:

*Katie May* said...

I do believe the choices you make effect future generations. My cousin Cody just died a couple months ago from having a little to much to drink and playing with a gun(it wasn't suicide) Anyway, I think that if his Grandma(my Aunt) would have made better decisions when she was younger and stayed close the our church and God then her family and her kids family would probably be members of the church and alcohol would most likely not have played and issue in his accidental death. Anyway, that what I think :) GREAT post!

*Katie May* said...

oh and just put that movie in my netflix, can't wait to watch it :)